Friday 10 May 2013

Post #3 - Another View: Kids Aren't Growing Up Fast Enough

So while I was researching some links to support my argument that kids are growing up too fast, I came across an article that explores both sides of the argument. The person who wrote the article had actually come across two articles that contradicted each other: One by the New York Times, and the other by the Washington Post.

I found this opposing view interesting. In my personal opinion, I think kids are growing up too fast. I see it everyday, on Facebook, driving past my old school, in my eldest cousins two daughters, my other cousins two eldest sons... But this opposing view is another interesting angle for me to consider.

The opposing point of view states that children aren't growing up fast enough.

Do I agree? No. I am firmly on the side that argues children are growing up too fast. I have seen it with my own eyes.

This article explores the time a 41 year old woman moved back in with her parents.

Is this a child not growing up fast enough?

No. The woman in question, Felicia Brown, is an adult, owns her own house, and until March 20, 2009, had a good job. The reason she moved back in with her parents? She got fired.

I disagree with this article entirely. The headline and the angle they take in this article makes it seem as if she moved home because she wanted to. Well, she didn't, not entirely. She just had no other option. She had no job, and no way of continuing her mortgage payments.

This article is based on entirely circumstantial evidence, and as such, cannot be a reliable source for the claim that kid's aren't growing up fast enough.



Referencing:
1. Lloyd, D. (n.d.). Reaching Adulthood: Are Kids Growing Up Too Fast or Too Slow? | RealDelia. Retrieved May 2009, from http://realdelia.com/2009/05/reaching-adulthood-are-kids-growing-up-too-fast-or-too-slow/

2. Belkin, L. (2009, May 4). Growing Up Too Fast? - NYTimes.com. Retrieved from http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/04/growing-up-too-fast/

3. Trejos, N. (2009, April 26). Back Home to Roost. Retrieved from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/25/AR2009042500110.html

No comments:

Post a Comment