Monday 6 May 2013

Post #2 - Stress: Why Some Children WANT To Grow Up

So I was reading an article on expertscolumn.com, by someone named Michelle06. She is debating the whole idea that children want to grow up, all because of stress.

She does make some points that I agree with. "Going to school has always been a stressful experience". I can really relate to this statement. In school, there is a constant desire to fit in. If you don't fit in, you feel stressed, alone, and like you can't cope. There is also the pressure to get the best grades, be the best student, prove something to teachers, parents and total strangers. Pressure = stress.

I remember when I was younger, I couldn't wait to grow up. Primary school was possibly the most stressful time of my life. I thought growing up would fix that, relieve all the stress of childhood.

It doesn't.

High School is just the same, except with the added pressure of deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life, and making sure you meet the minimum requirements to do that. There's the pressure of taking the right subjects, choosing the right university course, making sure you meet the minimum requirements of your chosen course.

Then the pressure of getting the best grades and fitting in starts all over again at university.

But why is it like this? Children should not be feeling pressured like this. Childhood is supposed to be enjoyable, a time to make friends, learn the ways of life and have a good time before being thrust into the working world.

Another probable contributor to the stress of childhood is peer pressure. "Little girls don't want to be seen to play with their dolls when all their friends are wearing make-up". True enough. When I was younger, what my friends did influenced me a lot. If my friends rolled down the hill, I joined in. If my friends went down to the field and hid from the teachers and skipped class, I'd hide too. I knew it was wrong, but my friends were doing it, so it had to be cool, right?

So really, if stress is a factor in kids behaving the way they are, what are we doing to stop it? Are we doing anything at all? Or are we so desensitized to it that we just accept it as part of society?



Referencing
1. Michelle06 (2011, October 6). Are children growing up too quickly these days?. Retrieved from http://expertscolumn.com/content/are-children-growing-too-quickly-these-days

5 comments:

  1. Interesting - I remember wanting to be older...so I could buy lollies! :)
    A good start here Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a good topic to go over, some children do want to grow up fast. I think that circumstances are not always the same for all children, some want to stay young forever and take their time coming out of the security bubble that their parents supply for them. Where as some kids have a single parent or no active parents and can not wait to grow up and move forward with their lives. I, myself was one of those kids. A single mother and absentee father, life was not always easy and from a young age I planned what i want to do when I grew up and how I could not wait to take charge of my own life and show all those people who doubted me what I am capable of.So I agree some kids can't wait to grow up. Or grow up too fast whether they want to or circumstances make them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also remember how stressful it was when school first started and how peer pressure certainly was a huge push for anyone who entered the school- to be different. You have to be a certain something and a certain someone and be with the "good crowd" of people. We all wanted- or were encouraged to want- to grow up as quickly as possible. Yet parents and teachers should also teach their children to enjoy their childhood as much as possible- otherwise, we realise we could have been much happier than we were, regardless of anyone. These are very good points as to why children grow up wanting to be a certain someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashleigh this is a really great blog, its a interesting point this one "She does make some points that I agree with. "Going to school has always been a stressful experience". I can really relate to this statement. In school, there is a constant desire to fit in. If you don't fit in, you feel stressed, alone, and like you can't cope. There is also the pressure to get the best grades, be the best student, prove something to teachers, parents and total strangers. Pressure = stress." It definitily seems like it at the time but i think most adults past 25 would agree that it would be a dream to only have school to contend with everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your blog topic as in some way it links with what I was saying in my blog 'Glorification of busy'. Children I agree are pressured, stressed and busy as everyone wants to be the best!! Some as busy as adults. I think that everyone is different depending on their upbringing weather or not they want to grow up or are happy growing into adulthood.

    Myself, I was quite happy going slowly, only really thinking about what it will be like when 'I am older' Children these days, I find have a different outlook and do what to grow up as quickly as they can. I agree, every young person does as their friends do, which is not be a kid like it used to be. I think technology may have a factor in this issue? Good blog, defiantly agree!

    ReplyDelete